The Growing Victoria’s Botanic Gardens grants program is an initiative of the Victorian Government to enhance the botanic gardens across Victoria with grants to eligible gardens and projects.
The Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP) is delivering the grants program to assist botanic garden managers to adapt to climate change, maintain valuable plant collections, improve amenities for the community and support local tourism development.
The program will:
- Rejuvenate Victoria’s botanic gardens by upgrading and enhancing the physical assets and amenities of the gardens and by growing the gardens’ important role in research, conservation and education.
- Address the risks posed by climate related rainfall and temperature changes.
- Support practical community action for Victoria’s botanic gardens.
- Improve public amenity and create lasting and visible improvement.
- Foster greater enjoyment of the environment.
- Assist botanic gardens to be innovative in meeting increased visitation and changing community needs.
Round Two 2020:
- Applications opened: 21 May 2020
- Applications closed: 16 July 2020
Please note that Round Two will be the final round of funding to be made available under the Growing Victoria’s Botanic Gardens grants program.
What funding is available?
In total, the available funding for the Growing Victoria’s Botanic Gardens grants program Round Two is close to $2 million.
- Grants between $20,000 to $300,000 will be awarded.
- Projects must be completed no later than end of March in the second year following grant award.
- Applications must demonstrate some contribution; either financial or in-kind, not necessarily equivalent to the amount of grant funding sought.
Who can apply?
The program will be open to botanic garden managers with not-for-profit objectives such as local councils, committees of management and trusts. Other groups eligible for funding include community and not-for-profit organisations associated with botanic gardens. Because the focus of the program is on assisting smaller regional and metropolitan botanic gardens, the Royal Botanic Gardens (Melbourne and Cranbourne) is not participating in the Growing Victoria’s Botanic Gardens grants program.
What type of projects might be funded?
The following types of activities and projects are eligible for funding:
- Upgrades that respond to risks to tree collections and plantings posed by climate change.
- Activities that develop, guide and promote the scientific and horticultural functions of botanic gardens.
- Initiatives that foster the enhancement of botanic gardens with indigenous or culturally and linguistically diverse collections and connections.
- Initiatives that foster the development or enhancement of records and collections management, including training and capacity building opportunities.
- Activities that support future-proofing initiatives that address botanical, conservation and heritage needs, including required conservation, irrigation or structural works.
- Initiatives that promote sustainable use of resources such as reduced energy or water use, and adaptive water management practices.
- Activities that support enhancements and accessibility to community assets such as plantings, gardens, picnic facilities, trails and nature play areas, catering to visitors including local, indigenous and culturally diverse communities.
- Initiatives that deliver increased community understanding and appreciation of botanic garden values including therapeutic and well- being benefits, heritage conservation, biodiversity, ‘garden to table’ opportunities and connections to indigenous or culturally and linguistically diverse communities.
- Collaborations and partnerships between stakeholders such as friends and community groups and including indigenous and culturally and linguistically diverse communities.
For more detailed information on the Growing Victoria’s Botanic Gardens grants program, including project eligibility, grant assessment criteria, application process and funding conditions please refer to the Growing Victoria’s Botanic Gardens funding guidelines:
- GVBG Funding Guidelines Round Two 2020 (PDF, 1.6 MB)
- GVBG Funding Guidelines Round Two 2020 (DOCX, 2.9 MB)
Are there FAQs for the grant program?
Yes! The Frequently Asked Questions document should answer your questions:
Please contact the Growing Victoria’s Botanic Gardens grants program team with any queries