Hanging Rock is iconic.
It has many different meanings and values for the people and groups who live in and visit the area.
“Hanging Rock will be renowned for its importance to our First Peoples, its dramatic geological form and its wider landscape setting within the Macedon Ranges. The role of the Rock throughout history as a place of gathering, reflection and intrigue will be understood and celebrated. The revegetated bushland environment will enhance the secluded ambience and provide a habitat for native wildlife. Activities around the Rock will reflect its historical uses centred on recreation and education, and its State and national significance.”
This is the vision in the Hanging Rock Strategic Plan, which will guide the future use of the Rock and its immediate surrounds from 2018-2068.
The Plan was developed in consultation with the community and stakeholders, including extensive consultation with Traditional Owner groups Dja Dja Wurrung, Taungurung and Wurundjeri.
Key actions in the Plan include
- Establishing a new joint governance body for the precinct that will be responsible for advising the Minister on appropriate future governance, management and development of the Hanging Rock Precinct.
- Purchasing the East Paddock to enable management of the site as one whole precinct
- Undertaking detailed cultural and environmental assessments of the site
- Developing a master plan that enables a high-quality visitor experience while managing impacts to the natural environmental and cultural assets of this iconic site.
Stay informed about the implementation of the Hanging Rock Strategic Plan
If you’d like to receive updates about the implementation of the Hanging Rock Strategic Plan, please subscribe by emailing email@example.com
- September 2020 Hanging Rock Community Update (PDF, 339.9 KB)
- September 2020 Hanging Rock Community Update (DOCX, 644.3 KB)
- May 2020 Hanging Rock Community Update (PDF, 436.1 KB)
- May 2020 Hanging Rock Community Update (DOCX, 449.4 KB)
- February 2020 Hanging Rock Community Update (PDF, 222.8 KB)
- February 2020 Hanging Rock Community Update (DOCX, 730.2 KB)
Visit Hanging Rock
While the Hanging Rock Strategic Plan Implementation project is happening, Macedon Ranges Shire Council continues to manage the day-to-day operations at Hanging Rock.
You’ll find more information about this iconic site at https://www.visitmacedonranges.com/see-do/the-great-outdoors/hanging-rock/
Page last updated: 17/02/21