Coronavirus (COVID-19) information

Latest information on public land use

Are you planning an event on public land?

If so, it’s important you follow the current rules to ensure a COVIDSafe event. Public land managers and all public event organisers must use the Public Events Framework, prepared by the Department of Jobs, Precincts and Regions. This will give you the information you need to organise a COVIDSafe event.

With hundreds of events held in State forests  every year, the Department of Environment, Land, Water & Planning (DELWP) need to make sure that these events are held safely and in alignment with regulatory requirements.

There are a broad range of commercial, community and recreational events held on State forest, including car rallies, mountain bike events, music events and other community events. Some, but not all events, are required to obtain a permit from DELWP before they can be held.

Similar events requiring land manager approval are conducted on Coastal Crown land and other Crown land.  This information specifically addresses events in State forest.

If you are planning an event that is in State forest or is on other Crown land please contact DELWP’s Customer Service Centre to apply for an event permit or to clarify if an event permit is required. Where necessary, they will refer you on to the relevant regional staff member for further discussion.

Who requires a permit?

DELWP requires event managers for events in State forest to secure a permit for their event where one or more of the following are deemed to apply:

  • The event involves 30 or more persons and is:
    - a show or entertainment; or
    - a festival, fete or public meeting or
    -  a demonstration, training class or similar event; or
    -  a car rally, fishing competition or other competitive event; or
    -  a wedding or other ceremony;
  • The event poses a risk to public safety or the site;
  • An event fee is charged; or
  • The event involves constructions or the marking of a course, marquees or tents with floor area over 100m2, the use of stages, audio visual/lighting or fencing or the erection of more than five items of infrastructure (e.g. portable toilets).

If you are planning an event in State forest where one or more of the above triggers applies, you must apply to the department for an event permit to hold your event.

What information is sought when applying for an event permit?

The event application form seeks information from event organisers on:

  • the infrastructure and facilities the event will use;
  • whether there will be catering or entertainment at the event and whether the required permits for these have been obtained (e.g from local council, from the EPA);
  • whether a risk management plan for the event has been completed;
  • measures in place to protect the environment and manage noise;
  • requirement for a traffic management plan if your event will interfere with normal use of roads in and around your event (required by regulation);
  • requirement for a safety plan which addresses communications, managing medical emergencies and evacuations, and (for events held during the Fire Danger Period) a fire plan;
  • a contingency plan, if road, fire or weather conditions require an event to be cancelled or rescheduled; and
  • a community engagement plan (for events likely to cause disruptions to the local community, other forest users and businesses)

When should I lodge my event application?

Due to the requirement for Forest Fire Management Victoria to assess the appropriateness of the event and its potential impact on public land, and consult with potentially affected stakeholders and residents, we typically require a minimum of eight weeks to process your event application.  Events of higher complexity and scale typically require twelve or more weeks to process. These processing times start from when we receive a fully compliant, completed application. Applications deficient in detail requiring further information to be submitted will further push out these processing times.

What event fees are payable?

Most community and general events will not be charged event fees. However, for events run in whole or part for profit, an event fee is payable. Refer to the Event fee schedule (PDF, 82.0 KB) for further information.

Is a bond required?

Typically no bond is required for events. However, where there is a risk that an event may cause damage to public land, a bond may be requested from the Event Organiser. These typically range from under $2,000 for lower risk events to more than $5,000 for higher risk events.

Page last updated: 16/07/21