Good to know
- Walk-in off Markwood-Everton Road
- Portable toilet required
- No facilities provided
- No campfires
- No dogs allowed
- Cattle graze this area
- Some mobile phone coverage is available
- Dispersed camping
Camping area description
Everton Camping area 1 provides walk-in camping and fishing on the banks of the Ovens River, approximately 2 km south of Everton, with pedestrian access from the bridge on Markwood-Everton Road (refer to the map below).
This camping area is on a licensed Crown water frontage that has been designated for camping.Before visiting this site, find out about camping on licensed Crown water frontages.
The camping area is mostly flat with access to the river over fencing.
Camping is only permitted in a specifically designated area on this frontage (see map below). Other areas of Crown water frontage can be accessed for recreational activities other than camping, such as fishing, walking, and picnicking.
Crown water frontages are rough and rugged bush camp areas. Before you go, it is important you consider all potential risks and hazards when accessing and camping at this location. Campers are responsible for their own safety and the safety of those in their care.
- Trees and limbs may fall unexpectedly. Avoid camping under trees.
- Stormy and windy weather increases the risk that trees and limbs may fall.
- This site may be part of a working farm
- Cattle may be present on this water frontage and access the river.
- If cattle approach you, avoid sudden movements and loud noises.
- Farm animals are not pets. They can be large and unpredictable and should not be approached.
- Store your food in a secure container to avoid attracting livestock and other animals.
- Leave all gates as you find them.
Water and flood safety
- Play it safe by the water.
- Hidden dangers may include submerged objects and debris and strong currents. A storm well upstream from you could cause flash flooding.
- Check the Bureau of Meteorology for weather forecasts and flood warnings, or visit Play it Safe by the Water for more information.
- Be aware of dangerous weather and bushfire conditions.
- Check VicEmergency for information about current fires, Fire Danger Ratings and Total Fire Bans.
Other risks that may be present include dangerous terrain, animals and adjoining farming operations.
How to get there
- From Everton head south 2 km and park on the west side of the bridge on Markwood-Everton Road
- From Markwood head north 3 km and park on the west side of the bridge on Markwood-Everton Road
- Cross fencing and walk west along the river about 200 m.
- The camping area is large and river access is over fencing (see map below).
Get directions to the camping area access point
Map - camping area
Map - Ovens River – Everton Camping Area 1 (PDF, 325.9 KB)
- Camping on licensed Crown river frontage (PDF, 174.0 KB)
- Guide to site assessments - Camping on licensed Crown river frontage (PDF, 155.4 KB)
- Crown water frontage: A guide to public access and recreational use (PDF, 200.0 KB)
- Land (Regulated Watercourse Land) Regulations 2021
- Water frontage licensing
- Summer safety information
- MapshareVic - licensed and unlicensed Crown water frontages and access points can be explored here using the 'Public Land' theme
Page last updated: 28/04/22