Good to know
- Walk-in only
- No facilities provided
- Campfires are not permitted
- Portable toilet required
- Heavily treed area
- No dogs allowed
- Mobile phone coverage is available
- Cattle may graze in this area
- Dispersed camping
Camping area description
Cheshunt Camping area 1 provides walk-in camping and fishing on the banks of the King River, approximately 12.7km south-west of Cheshunt. Pedestrian access is available along Crown land adjacent to the King River off Burrowes Road (refer to the map below).
The camping area is mostly flat with dense vegetation along the banks of the river. There are many trees in the secluded camping area.
This camping area is on a licensed Crown water frontage that has been designated for camping. Before visiting this site, find out about access to Crown water frontages.
Camping is only permitted in a specifically designated area on the frontage (see map below). Other areas of Crown water frontage can be accessed for recreational activities other than camping, such as fishin, walking and picnicking.
Crown water frontages are rough and rugged bush camp areas. Before you go, it is important to consider all potential risks and hazards when accessing and camping at this location. Campers are responsible for thier own safety and the safety of those in their care.
- This site may be part of a working farm.
- Cattle may be present on this water frontage and access the river.
- If cattle approach you, avoid sudden movements and loud noises.
- Farm animals are not pets. They can be large and unpredictable and should not be approached
- Store your food in a secure container to avoid attracting livestock and other animals.
- Leave all gates as you find them.
- Trees and limbs may fall unexpectedly. Avoid camping under trees.
- Stormy and windy weather increases the risk that trees and limbs may fall.
Water and flood safety
- Play it safe by the water.
- Hidden dangers may include submerged objects and debris and strong currents. A storm well upstream from you could cause flash flooding.
- Check the Bureau of Meteorology for weather forecasts and flood warnings, or visit Play it Safe by the Water for more information.
- Be aware of dangerous weather and bushfire conditions.
- Check VicEmergency for information about current fires, Fire Danger Ratings and Total Fire Bans.
Other risks that may be present include dangerous terrain, animals and adjoining farming operations.
How to get there
- From Cheshunt head north-west towards Swinburnes Lane, continue for 550 m
- Turn left onto Swinburnes Lane, continue for 1.3 km
- Continue onto Paradise Falls Road for 750 m
- Turn left onto Rose River Road, continue for 1.6 km
- Turn left onto Upper King River Road, continue for 3.1 km
- Turn left and continue along Burrowes Road for 5.4 km. The designated camping area will be on your left.
Map - camping area
- Fact sheet - Camping on licensed Crown river frontage (PDF, 174.0 KB)
- Fact sheet - Guide to site assessments - Camping on licensed Crown river frontage (PDF, 155.4 KB)
- Fact sheet - Crown water frontage: A guide to public access and recreational use (PDF, 200.0 KB)
- Land (Regulated Watercourse Land) Regulations 2021
Page last updated: 01/07/22