Good to know
- Two defined areas where camping is permitted
- Walk in access only
- No facilities provided
- Portable toilet required
- No campfires
- No dogs allowed
- Mobile phone coverage is available
- Livestock may graze this area
- Dispersed camping
Camping area description
Molesworth Camping area 2 is on a licensed Crown water frontage that has been designated for camping. Before visiting this site, find out about access to Crown water frontages.
From the parking area, the Crown land area slopes down to the Goulburn River. There are two areas where camping is permitted, as outlined on the map. Crown land areas outside the camping area remain accessible for recreation. The area is mostly flat with multiple suitable areas to set up camp. There are lots of trees and shrubs in parts. River access is mixed, with some flat areas providing easy access to the water.
It is important that campers use the map and instructions below to safely access the area and avoid trespassing on private property.
Camping is only permitted in the designated area on this frontage (see map below). Visitors may use other areas of Crown water frontage for recreational activities other than camping such as fishing, walking, and picnicking.
Crown water frontages are rough and rugged bush camp areas. Before you go, it is important you consider all potential risks and hazards when accessing and camping at this location. Campers are responsible for their own safety and the safety of those in their care.
- Trees and limbs may fall unexpectedly. Avoid camping under trees.
- Stormy and windy weather increases the risk that trees and limbs may fall.
- This site may be part of a working farm
- Cattle may be present on this water frontage and access the river.
- If cattle approach you, avoid sudden movements and loud noises.
- Farm animals are not pets . They can be large and unpredictable and should not be approached.
- Store your food in a secure container to avoid attracting livestock and other animals.
- Leave all gates as you find them.
Water and flood safety
- Play it safe by the water.
- Hidden dangers may include submerged objects and debris and strong currents. A storm well upstream from you could cause flash flooding.
- Check the Bureau of Meteorology for weather forecasts and flood warnings, or visit Play it Safe by the Water for more information.
- Be aware of dangerous weather and bushfire conditions.
- Check VicEmergency for information about current fires, Fire Danger Ratings and Total Fire Bans.
Other risks that may be present include dangerous terrain, animals and adjoining farming operations.
How to get there
- From Molesworth, travel east on the Goulburn Valley Hwy
- Turn north onto Molesworth-Dropmore Road
- Continue west along Molesworth-Dropmore Rd onto Fullertons Road
- Signage indicates the start of the camping area. Park beside Fullertons Road and access the camping area on foot
Get directions to the camping area access point
Map - camping area
Map - Goulburn River - Molesworth camping area 2 (PDF, 5.4 MB)
- Camping on licensed Crown river frontage (PDF, 174.0 KB)
- Guide to site assessments - Camping on licensed Crown river frontage (PDF, 155.4 KB)
- Crown water frontage: A guide to public access and recreational use (PDF, 200.0 KB)
- Land (Regulated Watercourse Land) Regulations 2021
- Water frontage licensing
- Summer safety information
- MapshareVic - licensed and unlicensed Crown water frontages and access points can be explored here using the 'Public Land' theme
Page last updated: 06/04/22