Good to know
- Walk-in only (800 m)
- Portable toilet required
- Heavily treed area
- No facilities provided
- No campfires
- No dogs allowed
- Cattle graze this area
- Some mobile phone coverage is available
- Dispersed camping
Camping area description
Kerrisdale Camping area 1 provides walk-in camping and fishing on the banks of the Goulburn River, approximately 20 km from both Seymour and Yea, with pedestrian access via a long unused road off Bryants Road (refer to the map below).
This camping area is on a licensed Crown water frontage that has been designated for camping. Before visiting this site, find out about camping on licensed Crown water frontages.
The camping area is mostly flat with excellent access to the river. There are many trees in the camping area.
Camping is only permitted in a specifically designated area on this frontage (see map below). Other areas of Crown water frontage can be accessed for recreational activities other than camping, such as fishing, walking, and picnicking.
Crown water frontages are rough and rugged bush camp areas.
Before you go, it is important that you consider all potential risks and hazards when accessing and camping at this location. Campers are responsible for their own safety and the safety of those in their care.
- Trees and limbs may fall unexpectedly. Avoid camping under trees.
- Stormy and windy weather increases the risk that trees and limbs may fall.
- This site may be part of a working farm
- Cattle may be present on this water frontage and access the river.
- If cattle approach you, avoid sudden movements and loud noises.
- Farm animals are not pets. They can be large and unpredictable and should not be approached.
- Store your food in a secure container to avoid attracting livestock and other animals.
- Leave all gates as you find them.
Water and flood safety
- Play it safe by the water.
- Hidden dangers may include submerged objects and debris and strong currents. A storm well upstream from you could cause flash flooding.
- Check the Bureau of Meteorology for weather forecasts and flood warnings, or visit Play it Safe by the Water for more information.
Other risks that may be present include dangerous terrain, animals and adjoining farming operations.
- Be aware of dangerous weather and bushfire conditions.
- Check VicEmergency for information about current fires, Fire Danger Ratings and Total Fire Bans. Other risks that may be present include dangerous terrain, animals and adjoining farming operations.
How to get there
- From Yea, head west 17 km to Bryants Rd, Homewood (see map)
- From Seymour, head east 20 km to Bryants Rd, Homewood (see map)
- Walk 800m along unused road to the Goulburn River
- The designated camping area is 200 m east after entering the licence area
Get directions to the camping area access point
Map - camping area
Map - Goulburn River - Kerrisdale Camping area 1 (PDF, 2.6 MB)
- Camping on licensed Crown river frontage (PDF, 174.0 KB)
- Guide to site assessments - Camping on licensed Crown river frontage (PDF, 155.4 KB)
- Crown water frontage: A guide to public access and recreational use (PDF, 200.0 KB)
- Land (Regulated Watercourse Land) Regulations 2021
- Water frontage licensing
- Summer safety information
- MapshareVic - licensed and unlicensed Crown water frontages and access points can be explored here using the 'Public Land' theme
Page last updated: 28/04/22