Good to know
- Walk-in only (500 m)
- Portable toilet required
- Heavily treed area
- No facilities provided
- No campfires
- No dogs allowed
- Cattle graze this area
- Mobile phone coverage is available
- Dispersed camping
Camping area description
Alexandra Camping area 1 provides walk-in camping and fishing on the banks of the Goulburn River, 5 km west of the township of Alexandra with pedestrian access from the Brooks River Reserve Campground. Campers can park in the Brooks River Reserve Campground and walk approximately 450 m along the access trail to the licence area Crown Waterfrontage (refer to the map below).
This camping area is on a licensed Crown water frontage that has been designated for camping. Before visiting this site, find out about camping on licensed Crown water frontages.
The camping area is fenced and access is by stile. The camping area from the river is mostly flat for 50 m. There are many trees in the camping area.
Camping is only permitted in a specifically designated area on this frontage (see map below). Other areas of Crown water frontage can be accessed for recreational activities other than camping, such as fishing, walking, and picnicking.
Crown water frontages are rough and rugged bush camp areas.
Before you go, it is important you consder all potential risks and hazards when accessing and camping at this location. Campers are responsible for their own safety and the safety of those in their care.
- Trees and limbs may fall unexpectedly. Avoid camping under trees.
- Stormy and windy weather increases the risk that trees and limbs may fall.
- This site may be part of a working farm.
- Cattle may be present on this water frontage and access the river.
- If cattle approach you, avoid sudden movements and loud noises.
- Farm animals are not pets. They can be large and unpredictable and should not be approached.
- Store your food in a secure container to avoid attracting livestock and other animals.
- Leave all gates as you find them.
Water and flood safety
- Play it safe by the water.
- Hidden dangers may include submerged objects and debris and strong currents. A storm well upstream from you could cause flash flooding.
- Check the Bureau of Meteorology for weather forecasts and flood warnings, or visit Play it Safe by the Water for more information.
- Be aware of dangerous weather and bushfire conditions.
- Check VicEmergency for information about current fires, Fire Danger Ratings and Total Fire Bans.
Other risks that may be present include dangerous terrain, animals and adjoining farming operations.
How to get there
- From Alexandra, head east to Goulburn Valley Hwy and then turn left down Swan Road.
- From Swan Road, travel northwest to Brooks River Reserve.
- There is an access track located on the east side of Brooks River Reserve. Walk the access track from the Brooks River Reserve campground downhill for 150 m.
- At the bottom of the access track, head west for 300 m, following the riverbank.
- Cross a small creek to a fence with a stile.
- Camping area is designated (see map below)
Map - camping area
- Camping on licensed Crown river frontage (PDF, 174.0 KB)
- Guide to site assessments - Camping on licensed Crown river frontage (PDF, 155.4 KB)
- Crown water frontage: A guide to public access and recreational use (PDF, 200.0 KB)
- Land (Regulated Watercourse Land) Regulations 2021
Page last updated: 28/04/22