Good to know
- Walk-in only
- Heavily treed area
- No facilities provided
- Portable toilet required
- Campfires are not permitted
- No dogs allowed
- Sheep graze in this area
- Mobile phone coverage is available
- Dispersed camping
Camping area description
The Amphitheatre Camping Area 1 provides walk-in camping and day recreation on the banks of the Avoca River, approximately 4 km south of Amphitheatre, with pedestrian access to the Avoca River off Back Amphitheatre Road.
This camping area is on a licensed Crown water frontage that has been designated for camping. Before visiting this site, find out about access to Crown water frontages.
The camping area has uneven terrain in parts with easy access to the river. There are many trees in the camping area.
Camping is only permitted in a specifically designated area on the frontage (see map below). Other areas of Crown water frontage can be accessed for recreational activities other than camping, such as fishing, walking and picnicking.
Crown water frontages are rough and rugged bush camp areas. Before you go, it is important to consider all potential risks and hazards when accessing and camping at this location. Campers are responsible for their own safety and the safety of those in their care.
- This site may be part of a working farm.
- Cattle may be present on this water frontage and access the river.
- If cattle approach you, avoid sudden movements and loud noises.
- Farm animals are not pets. They can be large and unpredictable and should not be approached
- Store your food in a secure container to avoid attracting livestock and other animals.
- Leave all gates as you find them.
- Trees and limbs may fall unexpectedly. Avoid camping under trees.
- Stormy and windy weather increases the risk that trees and limbs may fall.
Water and flood safety
- Play it safe by the water.
- Hidden dangers may include submerged objects and debris and strong currents. A storm well upstream from you could cause flash flooding.
- Check the Bureau of Meteorology for weather forecasts and flood warnings, or visit Play it Safe by the Water for more information.
- Be aware of dangerous weather and bushfire conditions.
- Check VicEmergency for information about current fires, Fire Danger Ratings and Total Fire Bans.
Other risks that may be present include dangerous terrain, animals and adjoining farming operations.
How to get there
- From Amphitheatre head south along Amphitheatre Rd
- Turn left onto Back Amphitheatre Rd
- Parking may be limited on Back Amphitheatre Rd
- Enter Crown land on the banks of the Avoca River just north from the Looney Lane intersection
- Walk 50 metres to the camping area
- The designated camping area begins when entering the licence area
Get directions to the camping area access point
Map - camping area
Map - Avoca River - Amphitheatre Camping Area 1 (PDF, 1.9 MB)
- Fact sheet - Camping on licensed Crown river frontage (PDF, 174.0 KB)
- Fact sheet - Guide to site assessments - Camping on licensed Crown river frontage (PDF, 155.4 KB)
- Fact sheet - Crown water frontage: A guide to public access and recreational use (PDF, 200.0 KB)
- Land (Regulated Watercourse Land) Regulations 2021
- Water frontage licensing
- Summer safety information
- MapshareVic - licensed and unlicensed Crown water frontages and access points can be explored here using the 'Public Land' theme
Page last updated: 09/11/22