Good to know
- Walk-in (1 km)
- No facilities provided
- Campfires permitted
- Portable toilet required
- No dogs allowed
- Some mobile phone coverage is available
- Cattle may graze in this area
- Dispersed camping
Camping area description
Alexandra Camping area 2 provides walk-in camping and fishing on the banks of the Acheron River, approximately 4km north of Taggerty, with pedestrian access available from Kerrs Road (refer to the map below).
This camping area is on a licensed Crown water frontage that has been designated for camping. Before visiting this site, find out about access to Crown water frontages.
The camping area is a 1 km walk along natural water frontage over stock fencing. River access can be steep. The camping area is natural bushland with many large river red gums.
Camping is only permitted in a specifically designated area on the frontage (see map below). Other areas of Crown water frontage can be accessed for recreational activities other than camping, such as fishing, walking and picnicking.
Crown water frontages are rough and rugged bush camp areas. Before you go, it is important to consider all potential risks and hazards when accessing and camping at this location. Campers are responsible for thier own safety and the safety of those in their care.
- This site may be part of a working farm.
- Cattle may be present on this water frontage and access the river.
- If cattle approach you, avoid sudden movements and loud noises.
- Farm animals are not pets. They can be large and unpredictable and should not be approached
- Store your food in a secure container to avoid attracting livestock and other animals.
- Leave all gates as you find them.
- Trees and limbs may fall unexpectedly. Avoid camping under trees.
- Stormy and windy weather increases the risk that trees and limbs may fall.
Water and flood safety
- Play it safe by the water.
- Hidden dangers may include submerged objects and debris and strong currents. A storm well upstream from you could cause flash flooding.
- Check the Bureau of Meteorology for weather forecasts and flood warnings, or visit Play it Safe by the Water for more information.
- Be aware of dangerous weather and bushfire conditions.
- Check VicEmergency for information about current fires, Fire Danger Ratings and Total Fire Bans.
Other risks that may be present include dangerous terrain, animals and adjoining farming operations.
How to get there
- From Taggerty head north on the Maroondah Highway for 2.9km
- Turn right onto Kerrs Road for 950m and park to the side of the road before the gate.
- Follow the signage and walk east for 700m to the start of the crown water frontage.
- Walk along the water frontage for 200m to reach the camping area.
Map - camping area
- Fact sheet - Camping on licensed Crown river frontage (PDF, 174.0 KB)
- Fact sheet - Guide to site assessments - Camping on licensed Crown river frontage (PDF, 155.4 KB)
- Fact sheet - Crown water frontage: A guide to public access and recreational use (PDF, 200.0 KB)
- Land (Regulated Watercourse Land) Regulations 2021
Page last updated: 27/04/23