Good to know
- Walk-in (1 km)
- No facilities provided
- Campfires are not permitted
- Portable toilet required
- No dogs allowed
- Mobile phone coverage is available
- Cattle may graze in this area
- Dispersed camping
Camping area description
Thornton Camping Area 1 & 2 provides walk-in camping and fishing on the banks of the Rubicon River, approximately 2 km south of Thornton, with pedestrian access available from Taggerty-Thornton Road (refer to the map below).
This camping area is on a licensed Crown water frontage that has been designated for camping. Before visiting this site, find out about access to Crown water frontages.
Access to the Thornton camping area 1, is a 1 km walk along natural water frontage over stock fencing. Thornton Camping Area 2 is situated 400m west from Thornton camping area 1, along Crown water frontage.
River access can be steep. The camping area is natural bushland with many large river red gums.
Camping is only permitted in a specifically designated area on the frontage (see map below). Other areas of Crown water frontage can be accessed for recreational activities other than camping, such as fishin, walking and picnicking.
Crown water frontages are rough and rugged bush camp areas. Before you go, it is important to consider all potential risks and hazards when accessing and camping at this location. Campers are responsible for thier own safety and the safety of those in their care.
- This site may be part of a working farm.
- Cattle may be present on this water frontage and access the river.
- If cattle approach you, avoid sudden movements and loud noises.
- Farm animals are not pets. They can be large and unpredictable and should not be approached
- Store your food in a secure container to avoid attracting livestock and other animals.
- Leave all gates as you find them.
- Trees and limbs may fall unexpectedly. Avoid camping under trees.
- Stormy and windy weather increases the risk that trees and limbs may fall.
Water and flood safety
- Play it safe by the water.
- Hidden dangers may include submerged objects and debris and strong currents. A storm well upstream from you could cause flash flooding.
- Check the Bureau of Meteorology for weather forecasts and flood warnings, or visit Play it Safe by the Water for more information.
- Be aware of dangerous weather and bushfire conditions.
- Check VicEmergency for information about current fires, Fire Danger Ratings and Total Fire Bans.
Other risks that may be present include dangerous terrain, animals and adjoining farming operations.
How to get there
- From Thornton head south along Taggerty-Thornton Road for approximately 1.4 km
- Follow the signage and walk 400m until you reach the Rubicon River
- Walk for a further 500m along the river to reach Thornton camping area 1
- Thornton camping area 2 is located 400m west, along the river from Thornton camping area 1
Get directions to the camping area access point
Map - camping area
Map - Rubicon River - Thornton camping area 1
(PDF, 1.8 MB)
- Fact sheet - Camping on licensed Crown river frontage (PDF, 174.0 KB)
- Fact sheet - Guide to site assessments - Camping on licensed Crown river frontage (PDF, 155.4 KB)
- Fact sheet - Crown water frontage: A guide to public access and recreational use (PDF, 200.0 KB)
- Land (Regulated Watercourse Land) Regulations 2021
- Water frontage licensing
- Summer safety information
- MapshareVic - licensed and unlicensed Crown water frontages and access points can be explored here using the 'Public Land' theme
Page last updated: 01/07/22