Good to know
- No facilities provided
- No campfires
- No dogs allowed
- Cattle graze this area
- Some mobile phone coverage is available
- Dispersed camping
Camping area description
Wangaratta Camping area 4 provides camping and fishing on the banks of the Ovens River, approximately 6 km east of Wangaratta, with access off Great Alpine Road (refer to the map below).
This camping area is on a licensed Crown water frontage that has been designated for camping. Before visiting this site, find out about camping on licensed Crown water frontages.
Some sections provide excellent camping and river access while a vast proportion of the area is densely vegetated with challenging river access.
Camping is only permitted in a specifically designated area on this frontage (see map below). Other areas of Crown water frontage can be accessed for recreational activities other than camping, such as fishing, walking, and picnicking.
Crown water frontages are rough and rugged bush camp areas. Before you go, it is important you consider all potential risks and hazards when accessing and camping at this location. Campers are responsible for their own safety and the safety of those in their care.
- Trees and limbs may fall unexpectedly. Avoid camping under trees.
- Stormy and windy weather increases the risk that trees and limbs may fall.
- This site may be part of a working farm.
- Cattle may be present on this water frontage and access the river.
- If cattle approach you, avoid sudden movements and loud noises.
- Farm animals are not pets. They can be large and unpredictable and should not be approached.
- Store your food in a secure container to avoid attracting livestock and other animals.
- Leave all gates as you find them.
Water and flood safety
- Play it safe by the water.
- Hidden dangers may include submerged objects and debris and strong currents. A storm well upstream from you could cause flash flooding.
- Check the Bureau of Meteorology for weather forecasts and flood warnings, or visit Play it Safe by the Water for more information.
- Be aware of dangerous weather and bushfire conditions.
- Check VicEmergency for information about current fires, Fire Danger Ratings and Total Fire Bans.
Other risks that may be present include dangerous terrain, animals and adjoining farming operations.
How to get there
- From Wangaratta head approximately 3 km west to the Great Alpine Road (see map)
- The camping area is directly adjacent to the road and extends several hundred metres
Map - camping area
- Camping on licensed Crown river frontage (PDF, 174.0 KB)
- Guide to site assessments - Camping on licensed Crown river frontage (PDF, 155.4 KB)
- Crown water frontage: A guide to public access and recreational use (PDF, 200.0 KB)
- Land (Regulated Watercourse Land) Regulations 2021
Page last updated: 28/04/22