Good to know
- Walk-in only (1.1 km)
- Heavily treed area river bank and open paddock
- No facilities available
- Portable toilet required
- Campfires permitted - bring your own firewood
- No dogs allowed
- Sheep and cattle graze in this area
- Mobile phone coverage is available
- Dispersed camping
Camping area description
Bridgewater camping area 1 provides walk-in camping and fishing on the banks of the Loddon River, approximately 13 km north of Bridgewater, with pedestrian access along an unused road from the intersection of O’Meally Lane and Triplets Road (refer to the map below). Access is over stiles and through gates.
This camping area is on a licensed Crown water frontage that has been designated for camping. Before visiting this site, find out about camping on licensed Crown water frontages.
The camping area is mostly flat with access to the river. There are many trees in the camping area.
Camping is only permitted in the designated area on this frontage (see map below). Visitors may use other areas of Crown water frontage for recreational activities other than camping such as fishing, walking, and picnicking.
Crown water frontages are rough and rugged bush camp areas. Before you go, it is important to consider all potential risks and hazards when accessing and camping at this location. Campers are responsible for their own safety and the safety of those in their care.
- Trees and limbs may fall unexpectedly. Avoid camping under trees.
- Stormy and windy weather increases the risk that trees and limbs may fall.
- This site may be part of a working farm
- Cattle may be present on this water frontage and access the river.
- If cattle approach you, avoid sudden movements and loud noises.
- Farm animals are not pets. They can be large and unpredictable and should not be approached.
- Store your food in a secure container to avoid attracting livestock and other animals.
- Leave all gates as you find them.
Water and flood safety
- Play it safe by the water.
- Hidden dangers may include submerged objects and debris and strong currents. A storm well upstream from you could cause flash flooding.
- Check the Bureau of Meteorology for weather forecasts and flood warnings, or visit Play it Safe by the Water for more information.
- Be aware of dangerous weather and bushfire conditions.
- Check VicEmergency for information about current fires, Fire Danger Ratings and Total Fire Bans.
Other risks that may be present include dangerous terrain, animals and adjoining farming operations.
How to get there
- From Bridgewater head north along the Bridgewater Serpentine Road to O'Meally Lane.
- Turn east along O'Meally Lane to Triplets Road
- Parking may be limited on Triplets Road
- Enter unused road which is a continuation of the O'Meally Road alignment
- Walk 1.1 km to the camping are, along the unused road
- The designated camping area begins when entering the licensed area
Map - camping area
- Camping on licensed Crown river frontage (PDF, 174.0 KB)
- Guide to site assessments - Camping on licensed Crown river frontage (PDF, 155.4 KB)
- Crown water frontage: A guide to public access and recreational use (PDF, 200.0 KB)
- Land (Regulated Watercourse Land) Regulations 2021
Page last updated: 06/05/22