Good to know
- Camping area with parking immediately adjacent
- Heavily treed area
- No facilities available
- Portable toilet required
- Campfires not permitted
- No dogs allowed
- Cattle graze in this area
- Mobile phone coverage may be limited
- Dispersed camping
Camping area description
The Kiewa River – Boyds Bridge Camping Area 1 provides drive up camping and fishing on the banks of the Kiewa River, approximately 25 km south Tangambalanga, with access along Crown land adjacent to the Kiewa River off Boyds Road (refer to the map below).
This camping area is on a licensed Crown water frontage that has been designated for camping. Before visiting this site, find out about camping on licensed Crown water frontages.
The camping area is mostly flat with excellent access to the river. There are many trees in the camping area.
Camping is only permitted in the designated area on this frontage (see map below). Visitors may use other areas of Crown water frontage for recreational activities other than camping such as fishing, walking, and picnicking.
Crown water frontages are rough and rugged bush camp areas. Before you go, it is important to consider all potential risks and hazards when accessing and camping at this location. Campers are responsible for their own safety and the safety of those in their care.
- Trees and limbs may fall unexpectedly. Avoid camping under trees.
- Stormy and windy weather increases the risk that trees and limbs may fall.
- This site may be part of a working farm
- Cattle may be present on this water frontage and access the river.
- If cattle approach you, avoid sudden movements and loud noises.
- Farm animals are not pets. They can be large and unpredictable and should not be approached.
- Store your food in a secure container to avoid attracting livestock and other animals.
- Leave all gates as you find them.
Water and flood safety
- Play it safe by the water.
- Hidden dangers may include submerged objects and debris and strong currents. A storm well upstream from you could cause flash flooding.
- Check the Bureau of Meteorology for weather forecasts and flood warnings, or visit Play it Safe by the Water for more information.
- Be aware of dangerous weather and bushfire conditions.
- Check VicEmergency for information about current fires, Fire Danger Ratings and Total Fire Bans.
Other risks that may be present include dangerous terrain, animals and adjoining farming operations.
How to get there
- From Tangambalanga head east on Kiewa E Rd 4.2 km
- Turn right onto Gundowring Rd 19.3 km
- Turn right onto Boyd Rd for 1.3 km until you reach the Kiewa River
- Cross Boyd Bridge and camping area is on the right
Please exercise caution when parking
Get directions to the camping area access point
Map - camping area
Map - Kiewa River - Boyds Bridge Camping Area 1 (PDF, 1.9 MB)
- Camping on licensed Crown river frontage (PDF, 174.0 KB)
- Guide to site assessments - Camping on licensed Crown river frontage (PDF, 155.4 KB)
- Crown water frontage: A guide to public access and recreational use (PDF, 200.0 KB)
- Land (Regulated Watercourse Land) Regulations 2021
- Water frontage licensing
- Summer safety information
- MapshareVic - licensed and unlicensed Crown water frontages and access points can be explored here using the 'Public Land' theme
Page last updated: 09/08/22