Good to know
- Walk-in only (750 m)
- Heavily treed area
- No facilities provided
- No campfires
- No dogs allowed
- Cattle graze this area
- Mobile phone coverage is available
- Dispersed camping
Camping area description
Murchison Camping area 1 provides walk-in camping and fishing on the banks of the Goulburn River, approximately 6 km south of Murchison and 12 km north of Nagambie, with pedestrian access from the end of Day Road. From the end of Day road, campers must walk along the unused road reserve (refer to the map below).
This camping area is on a licensed Crown water frontage that has been designated for camping. Before visiting this site, find out about camping on licensed Crown water frontages. The camping area is mostly flat with steep banks down to the river. There are many trees in the camping area.
Camping is only permitted in a specifically designated area on this frontage (see map below). Other areas of Crown water frontage can be accessed for recreational activities other than camping, such as fishing, walking, and picnicking.
Crown water frontages are rough and rugged bush camp areas. Before you go, it is important you consder all potential risks and hazards when accessing and camping at this location. Campers are responsible for their own safety and the safety of those in their care.
- Trees and limbs may fall unexpectedly. Avoid camping under trees.
- Stormy and windy weather increases the risk that trees and limbs may fall.
- This site may be part of a working farm
- Cattle may be present on this water frontage and access the river.
- If cattle approach you, avoid sudden movements and loud noises.
- Store your food in a secure container to avoid attracting livestock and other animals.
- Leave all gates as you find them.
Water and flood safety
- Play it safe by the water.
- Hidden dangers may include submerged objects and debris and strong currents. A storm well upstream from you could cause flash flooding.
- Check the Bureau of Meteorology for weather forecasts and flood warnings, or visit VicEmergency for information about current fires, Fire Danger Ratings and Total Fire Bans.
Other risks that may be present include dangerous terrain, animals and adjoining farming operations.
Murchison camping area 1 image gallery
How to get there
- From Murchison-Goulburn Weir Road, turn east onto Day Road
- Park at the end of Day Road
- Go through the gate at the end of Day Road (all gates must be left as found)
- Walk 750 metres to the camping area, along the unused road licensed area
- The designated camping area is south of the entry point
Get directions to the camping area access point
Map - camping area
Map - Goulburn River - Murchison Camping area 1 (PDF, 5.2 MB)
- Camping on licensed Crown river frontage (PDF, 174.0 KB)
- Guide to site assessments - Camping on licensed Crown river frontage (PDF, 155.4 KB)
- Crown water frontage: A guide to public access and recreational use (PDF, 200.0 KB)
- Land (Regulated Watercourse Land) Regulations 2021
- Water frontage licensing
- Summer safety information
- MapshareVic - licensed and unlicensed Crown water frontages and access points can be explored here using the 'Public Land' theme
Page last updated: 20/05/22