Good to know
- Walk-in from Dargo Road
- Portable toilet required
- No facilities provided
- No campfires permitted
- No dogs allowed
- Cattle graze this area
- Some mobile phone coverage is available
- Dispersed camping
Camping area description
Dargo Camping Area 1 and 2 provides walk-in camping and fishing on the banks of the Dargo River, approximately 8 km south of Dargo, with pedestrian access off Lower Dargo Road
This camping area is on a licensed Crown water frontage that has been designated for camping. Before visiting this site, find out about access to Crown water river frontages.
The camping area is a 1 km walk along natural water frontage over stock fencing. River access can be steep. The camping area is natural bushland.
Camping Area 2 is located 700 m downstream from Camping Area 1.
Camping is only permitted in a specifically designated area on this frontage (see map below). Other areas of Crown water frontage can be accessed for recreational activities other than camping, such as fishing, walking, and picnicking.
Crown water frontages are rough and rugged bush camp areas. Before you go, it is important you consider all potential risks and hazards when accessing and camping at this location. Campers are responsible for their own safety and the safety of those in their care.
- Trees and limbs may fall unexpectedly. Avoid camping under trees.
- Stormy and windy weather increases the risk that trees and limbs may fall.
- This site may be part of a working farm.
- Cattle may be present on this water frontage and access the river.
- If cattle approach you, avoid sudden movements and loud noises.
- Store your food in a secure container to avoid attracting livestock and other animals.
- Leave all gates as you find them.
Water and flood safety
- Play it safe by the water.
- Hidden dangers may include submerged objects and debris and strong currents. A storm well upstream from you could cause flash flooding.
- Check the Bureau of Meteorology for weather forecasts and flood warnings, or visit VicEmergency for information about current fires, Fire Danger Ratings and Total Fire Bans.
Other risks that may be present include dangerous terrain, animals and adjoining farming operations.
How to get there
- From Dargo head south on Lind Avenue for 1km
- Turn left onto Lower Dargo Rd
- Continue on Lower Dargo Road for 8 km
- Limited parking available, please exercise caution
- Follow the signage to reach the Designated Camping Area 1
- Designated Camping Area 2 is located 700 m downstream from Designated Camping Area 1
Get directions to the Camping Area 1 access point
Get directions to the Camping Area 2 access point
Map - camping area
Map - Dargo River - Dargo River Camping Area 1 & 2 (PDF, 3.0 MB)
- Camping on licensed Crown river frontage (PDF, 174.0 KB)
- Guide to site assessments - Camping on licensed Crown river frontage (PDF, 155.4 KB)
- Crown water frontage: A guide to public access and recreational use (PDF, 200.0 KB)
- Land (Regulated Watercourse Land) Regulations 2021
- Water frontage licensing
- Summer safety information
- MapshareVic - licensed and unlicensed Crown water frontages and access points can be explored here using the 'Public Land' theme
Page last updated: 19/08/22