Good to know
- Walk-in only (600m)
- No facilities available
- Portable toilet required
- Campfires not permitted
- No dogs allowed
- Livestock graze in this area
- Mobile phone coverage is available
- Dispersed camping
- Day recreation
Camping area description
The Darcy's Bridge Camping area 1 provides for walk-in camping and day recreation on the banks of the Avon River, approximately 15 km west of St Arnaud, with pedestrian access off Spike Lane & Waterloo Plains Road. (refer to the map below).
The camping area is mostly flat with limited access to the river. It is important that campers take care to use the map and instructions below to safely access the area and avoid trespassing on private property.
Camping is only permitted in the designated area on this frontage (see map below). Visitors may use other areas of Crown water frontage for recreational activities other than camping such as fishing, walking, and picnicking.
Crown water frontages are rough and rugged bush camp areas. Before you go, it is important to consider all potential risks and hazards when accessing and camping at this location. Campers are responsible for their own safety and the safety of those in their care.
- Trees and limbs may fall unexpectedly. Avoid camping under trees.
- Stormy and windy weather increases the risk that trees and limbs may fall.
- This site may be part of a working farm
- Cattle may be present on this water frontage and access the river.
- If cattle approach you, avoid sudden movements and loud noises.
- Farm animals are not pets. They can be large and unpredictable and should not be approached.
- Store your food in a secure container to avoid attracting livestock and other animals.
- Leave all gates as you find them.
Water and flood safety
- Play it safe by the water.
- Hidden dangers may include submerged objects and debris and strong currents. A storm well upstream from you could cause flash flooding.
- Check the Bureau of Meteorology for weather forecasts and flood warnings, or visit Play it Safe by the Water for more information.
- Be aware of dangerous weather and bushfire conditions.
- Check VicEmergency for information about current fires, Fire Danger Ratings and Total Fire Bans.
Other risks that may be present include dangerous terrain, animals and adjoining farming operations.
How to get there
- Travel west from St Arnaud along Wimmera Highway
- Turn south onto Spike Lane
- Parking can be safely made just south of the intersection of Spike Lane and Waterloo Plains Road
- Walk 600 metres south to the camping area.
Map - camping area
- Camping on licensed Crown river frontage (PDF, 174.0 KB)
- Guide to site assessments - Camping on licensed Crown river frontage (PDF, 155.4 KB)
- Crown water frontage: A guide to public access and recreational use (PDF, 200.0 KB)
- Land (Regulated Watercourse Land) Regulations 2021
Page last updated: 09/11/22