Good to know
- No facilities provided
- Portable toilet required
- Campfires are not permitted
- Uneven terrain
- No dogs allowed
- Mobile phone coverage is available
- Cattle may graze in this area
- Dispersed camping
Camping area description
The Wycheproof Camping area 2 provides walk-in camping and fishing on the banks of the Avoca River, approximately 22.4 km north-east of Wycheproof, with pedestrian access along Crown land adjacent to the Avoca River off McIvers Road (refer to the map below).
This camping area is on a licensed Crown water frontage that has been designated for camping. Before visiting this site, find out about access to Crown water frontages.
The camping area is mostly flat with easy access to the river. Avoca River is very narrow and shallow in parts of the camping area. There are many trees in the camping area.
Camping is only permitted in a specifically designated area on the frontage (see map below). Please avoid disturbance to nearby neighbours by camping in the designated camping area only. Other areas of Crown water frontage can be accessed for recreational activities other than camping, such as fishing, walking and picnicking.
Crown water frontages are rough and rugged bush camp areas. Before you go, it is important to consider all potential risks and hazards when accessing and camping at this location. Campers are responsible for their own safety and the safety of those in their care.
- This site may be part of a working farm.
- Cattle may be present on this water frontage and access the river.
- If cattle approach you, avoid sudden movements and loud noises.
- Farm animals are not pets. They can be large and unpredictable and should not be approached
- Store your food in a secure container to avoid attracting livestock and other animals.
- Leave all gates as you find them.
- Trees and limbs may fall unexpectedly. Avoid camping under trees.
- Stormy and windy weather increases the risk that trees and limbs may fall.
Water and flood safety
- Play it safe by the water.
- Hidden dangers may include submerged objects and debris and strong currents. A storm well upstream from you could cause flash flooding.
- Check the Bureau of Meteorology for weather forecasts and flood warnings, or visit Play it Safe by the Water for more information.
- Be aware of dangerous weather and bushfire conditions.
- Check VicEmergency for information about current fires, Fire Danger Ratings and Total Fire Bans.
Other risks that may be present include dangerous terrain, animals and adjoining farming operations.
How to get there
- From Wycheproof, head east on O’Connor Rd towards High St, continue for 190 m
- Turn left onto Mount St (C267), Mount St turns into Boort-Wycheproof Rd, continue for 14.7 km
- Turn left onto Jeruk River North Rd, continue for 5 km
- Slight right onto McIvers Rd, continue for 2.5 km
- The designated camping area begins when entering the licence area through the unlocked gate. Please close the gate behind you
Get directions to the camping area access point
Map - camping area
Map - Avoca River - Wycheproof camping area 2
(PDF, 1.7 MB)
- Fact sheet - Camping on licensed Crown river frontage (PDF, 174.0 KB)
- Fact sheet - Guide to site assessments - Camping on licensed Crown river frontage (PDF, 155.4 KB)
- Fact sheet - Crown water frontage: A guide to public access and recreational use (PDF, 200.0 KB)
- Land (Regulated Watercourse Land) Regulations 2021
- Water frontage licensing
- Summer safety information
- MapshareVic - licensed and unlicensed Crown water frontages and access points can be explored here using the 'Public Land' theme
Page last updated: 28/07/22