The Lower Yarra River Use Future Directions Group report provided recommendations to the Minister for the management of the Lower Yarra and Maribyrnong Rivers.
Their recommendations address a shared vision for the use of the Lower Yarra River including improving governance arrangements, berthing of commercial passenger boats, event approvals and strategies for new infrastructure to support on-river activities.
Responding to the report, the Minister announced the following immediate actions to improve management of the waterway, providing $450,000 to Parks Victoria to:
- establish and support a new three person committee to advise on managing the Lower Yarra River and allocation of commercial berths over the next two years
- engage an independent consultant to work with the committee to develop a strategy for and advise on the allocation of the commercial berths
- fund a probity officer to oversee the berth allocation process
- support a renewed focus on engagement and collaboration with stakeholders in the management of the waterway
- employ additional staff to support this work as needed
- providing up to $2 million to Parks Victoria to develop floating berths at Southgate Wharf. The Future Directions Group identified this is a priority for the future investment and growth in the commercial boating industry
The Minister will also ask Parks Victoria to work closely with the City of Melbourne to ensure they align their work efforts to deliver the shared vision under the guidance of the new committee.
The Minister will seek advice from the new committee at the conclusion of the process to allocate the berths on the future funding needs and any potential improvements to the governance arrangements.
Page last updated: 28/02/18